COVID-19 has changed the way the world operates these days. The majority of people are now operating from home and are finding creative ways to keep busy while still trying to safely connect with family and friends. Now more than ever, those at home are looking for new things to do to pass the time.
It’s also a great time to try new things and step out of your comfort zone!
Here are some ways to use your time effectively:
- Go for a walk, head out on a hike, or take a bike ride! There is nothing better for the soul than some fresh air and sunshine.
- Raining? Sometimes even a 20–minute drive listening to your favorite podcast can help give you a change of scenery and refresh your mind.
- Garden! Clean up those built-up dead leaves and plant some new flowers. Give that flower box a facelift by painting it a pretty color. You can take it to the next level and clean up and prep the rest of the yard too. Prune overgrown bushes, seed the grass, or weed the beds. Vegetable gardens are where it’s at these days!
- Set up your patio set! Take it out of storage and give it a good wash. During the workweek, take a break and enjoy your lunch outside or enjoy a good book under the patio after your day is over to wind down.
Outdoors for Kids:
- Color, draw, and paint whatever you can! Chalk on the driveway, paint on loose rocks, the possibilities are endless.
- Bike rides around the block, Races up and down the street, or kick the soccer ball around the yard. ANYTHING to help exert some energy and let the kids feel like kids.
- Teach the older kids things they WOULDN’T learn in school! How to check/change their oil, how to change a tire, or how to mow the lawn! Get them helping with the yard clean up!
- Scavenger hunts! Put together a list of things kids can find outside. Take a peek at your local community Facebook page and see what there is to offer – many people in local towns are putting together scavenger hunts for kids in the area. For
example, some have started putting a teddy bear in their window so families can try to find them while on a walk or while driving around. Others have been putting hearts in the windows to send love to all the
essential workers out there.
- Time to get organized– especially if you feel like selling is in your future! Clean out the closets, go through your kid’s toys, and gather clothes you no longer wear to donate. No basement or attic to keep things stored out of the main areas of the home? Utilize labeled storage boxes and furniture with hidden storage compartments or take advantage of an outdoor shed to store your things.
- If you have kids, it’s the perfect time to switch from their winter clothes to their warmer weather clothes- this task alone ensures their drawers and closets will be organized!
- It’s a great time for a DIY project. Paint the front door or an accent wall in one of your rooms, refinish a piece of furniture, or put up some new curtains!
- Redecorate! Move the furniture around, take all your decorative pieces down and use them in new places- it doesn’t have cost a dollar to make your space seem new and refreshed.
- Have a million picture frames? Make a gallery wall!
- Streaming services to the rescue. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and many more have a ton of shows and movies to watch for both kids and adults. Make a movie night out of it! Grab some comfy blankets and a snack and you’re ready to go.
- Missing time with friends and family? Check out some video conferencing systems like Zoom or Google Hangouts. Most platforms are free and simple to use and are a great way to connect with those you can’t see in person. There are now ways to play games like poker and do trivia over these platforms too. Have someone create a PowerPoint with trivia questions, and screen share so everyone on the video call can see and answer!
- Break out the puzzles, board games, or a deck of cards! These can be a great way to spend time with your family and keep everyone occupied.
Yes, the gyms may be closed but thanks to technology there are ways to work up a sweat from the comfort of your own home!
- Download an at-home workout app. There are dozens of apps that offer different styles of exercise from bodyweight HIIT (high-intensity interval training) and light dumbbells to spin classes! Some apps are free and others are offering free extended trials during these challenging times. Some options are the FitBody app, the Peloton app, even Instagram has Fitness Instructors going live with free workouts!
- Go for a walk, run, or bike ride- good old fashioned outdoor exercise! Getting your heart rate up and feeling the sunshine and fresh air on your face will have you feeling like a million bucks.
- Some gyms and instructors may still be offering classes via a video chatting app (zoom, Google Hangouts, etc.). Contact them to see what may be offered!
- YouTube can be a great resource as well – there are tons of videos on the platform that people can use; everything from Zumba, yoga, weight training, and more.
- It’s time to make that recipe you’ve been wanting to try! Pull out the recipe to make sure you have all the ingredients and get cooking!
- Organize your cabinets. Do you think something should be in a different place? Move things around so it makes more sense. Do you have containers missing covers? Get rid of them. Even just going through one cabinet or drawer every few days can make a big difference.
- Looking to visibly freshen things up? Switch out the cabinet hardware for something new. it’s an easy and cost-effective way to give your kitchen a little spruce up.
Arts and Crafts:
- Toilet paper has become quite the celebrity recently, and now the leftover cardboard remains can be too! Turn your empty rolls into a fun craft for the kids by creating an octopus! They can color, paint, and design their octopus and create a whole family!
- Turn an empty milk jug into an elephant craft that is sure to keep the kids busy for an hour!
- Have your kids put together a play or puppet show. They can brainstorm the story, write the script, and make the “set” with things at home. Set a performance time for later in the day so they can show off their hard work!
- When it doubt, check out Pinterest – there are tons of craft ideas to keep kids busy for hours!
For more information and resources regarding Real Estate and the current market, check out our Resource page, here.