Call Us: 855-510-SOLD

Best Communities to Live in – Massachusetts

We took the top two towns and cities from each county Lamacchia Realty covers in MA and made a list of the best places to live in 2019!

Massachusetts offers various lifestyle and living opportunities.

So where are the best places to live in Massachusetts out of 351 cities and towns?

Measuring the overall quality of each town will be subjective to each person and their family needs. But, measuring safety, quality of public schools, affordability, and commuter access is a great place to start! 

Middlesex County is made up of 41 different towns and cities. The median property value in Middlesex County, MA is $477,500, and the homeownership rate is 61.8%. According to the most recent United States Census (July 1, 2017), Middlesex country has an overall population of 1,602,947.


Newton

Located about 7 miles from downtown Boston. Newton is 18.2 square miles in size. Living in Newton offers residents a suburban feel and most residents own their homes. In Newton, there are a lot of bars, restaurants, coffee shops, and parks for everyone to enjoy. Many young professionals live in Newton and there is easy commuter access into Boston. The public schools in Newton are highly rated.

About 70% of the people here rent property, leaving 30% as owners.

 

Population: 88,479

Median Home Value: $845,100

 

  • Rated 2 of 349 Places with the Best Public Schools in Massachusetts
  • Rated 2 of 196 Best Suburbs to Raise a Family in Massachusetts
  • Rated 3 of 196 Best Suburbs to Live in Massachusetts

Waltham

Waltham has everything you could ask for: a high standard of living, a lively culture, green spaces, and a low crime rate. Its suburban air and employment opportunities have steadily attracted young adults looking to put down roots in the greater Boston Area. A half-hour drive from Boston, Waltham is a bustling city in Middlesex County.

About 52% of the people here rent property, leaving 48% as owners.

 

Population: 62,832

Median Home Value: $463,600

 

  • Rated  7 of 196 Best Suburbs for Young Professionals in Massachusetts
  • Rated 12 of 196 Most Diverse Suburbs in Massachusetts
  • Rated 39 of 416 Best Places for Young Professionals in Massachusetts

According to the most recent United States Census (July 1, 2017), the total population of Worcester County is 826,116.


Westborough

Living in Westborough offers residents a suburban feel and most residents own their homes. Located 29 miles west of Boston and 12 miles east of Worcester. The public schools in Westborough are highly rated. Westborough provides easy access into Worcester or Boston through the Framingham/Worcester Line of the MBTA or highways I-90 and I-495.

About 60% of the people here own property, leaving 40% as renters.

Population: 18,836

Median Home Value: $432,000

  • Rated 20 of 349Places with the Best Public Schools in Massachusetts
  • Rated 36 of 416Best Places to Raise a Family in Massachusetts
  • Rated 42 of 416Best Places for Young Professionals in Massachusetts

 

Shrewsbury

Living in Shrewsbury offers residents a suburban feel and most residents own their homes. It has been a popular location for townsfolk from neighboring towns to have a few days off and it developed a reputation for being the perfect summer resort town. Rather a picturesque town, Shrewsbury is fairly a hilly terrain intersected by little streams.  The town’s old world charm and natural beauty continue to make it a really pleasant spot to raise a family and call home. The public schools in Shrewsbury are highly rated.

About 75% of the people here own property, leaving 25% as renters.

 

Population: 36,716

Median Home Value: $394,600

 

  • Rated 13 of 416Best Places to Buy a House in Massachusetts
  • Rated 38 of 349Best Places to Retire in Massachusetts
  • Rated 41 of 349 Places with the Best Public Schools in Massachusetts

According to the most recent United States Census (July 1, 2017), Norfolk County has a total population of 1,602,947.


Brookline

Brookline is a suburb of Boston. Living in Brookline offers residents an urban feel and most residents own their homes. In Brookline, there are a lot of bars, restaurants, coffee shops, and parks. Many young professionals live in Brookline and residents tend to be liberal. The public schools in Brookline are highly rated.

About 50% of the people here own property, leaving 50% as renters.

 

Population: 59,246

Median Home Value: $829,300

 

  • Rated 1 of 416 Best Places to Live in Massachusetts
  • Rated 1 of 196 Best Suburbs to Live in Massachusetts
  • Rated 2 of 196 Best Suburbs for Young Professionals in Massachusetts

 

Needham

Needham is a suburb of Boston. Living in Needham offers residents a suburban feel. You can get from Needham into Boston with a simple 30-minute commuter rail ride. This makes the town ideal for commuters that work in the city.

About 83% of the people here own property, leaving 17% as renters.

 

Population: 30,429

Median Home Value: $752,000

 

  • Rated 17 of 349 Places with the Best Public Schools in Massachusetts
  • Rated 17 of 196 Suburbs with the Best Public Schools in Massachusetts
  • Rated 19 of 196 Best Suburbs to Raise a Family in Massachusetts

According to the most recent United States Census (July 1, 2017), Essex County has a total population of 785,205.


Andover

Living in Andover offers residents a suburban feel and most residents own their homes. In Andover, there are a lot of coffee shops and parks. The MBTA has two stops for Andover that provide service to Boston’s North Station making it easy to live here and commute into Boston. The town is located at the intersection of I-93 and I-495 so heading up to New Hampshire is also a breeze.

About 80% of the people here own property, leaving 20% as renters.

 

Population: 35,375

Median Home Value: $603,700

 

  • Rated 16 of 196 Best Suburbs to Live in Massachusetts
  • Rated 22 of 196 Best Suburbs to Raise a Family in Massachusetts
  • Rated 29 od 196 Best Suburbs to Buy a House in Massachusetts

 

Topsfield

Topsfield is located about 22 miles north of Boston and is the geographical center of Essex County. Living in Topsfield offers residents a suburban feel and most residents own their homes. In Topsfield, there are a lot of parks. Topsfield holds an annual fair called the “Topsfield Fair” that draws a large crowded every year! Bradley Palmer State Park is great for everyone, from walking, running and biking paths as well as a wading pool and is a popular spot among Essex County.

About 90% of the people here own property, leaving 10% as renters.

 

Population: 6,496

Median Home Value: $566,700

 

  • Rated 36 of 196 Best Suburbs to Raise a Family in Massachusetts
  • Rated 37 of 196 Best Suburbs to Buy a House in Massachusetts
  • Rated 42 of 196 Suburbs with the Best Public Schools in Massachusetts

*Information based on U.S. Census and Niche.com

Planning To Sell Your Home And Want The Most Money?

Get a FREE copy of our Home Sellers book called,

“The Real Way to Sell Your Home for the Most Money”

In this book we explain all kinds of things like:

  • How to get your home ready to sell
  • Inexpensive things you can do to substantially increase your home’s value.
  • How to sell your home for the most money and close when YOU want to.