Our yearly hottest towns report is here! This is a list that goes into detail about the top 25 towns and cities – out of all 351 in Massachusetts – that had the biggest growth in home sales in 2016. We look specifically at single family homes, condominiums, and multi-family homes, and while we filter by the increase in number of sales to get our top 25 list, we also look at the increase or decrease in average home sale price. The cities or towns listed must have a minimum of 200 homes sold in 2016 to be considered for the list.
A lot of towns this year are new to the list when compared to previous year’s – none of last year’s list made it into the top 10, and only 3 (East Longmeadow, Webster, and Fitchburg) made it into the top 25.
Top 10 Hottest Towns in 2016
Taunton was the definite stand-out city this year, growing from 510 homes sold in 2015 to 788 in 2016 – an increase of 55%! Average price also saw an increase, though it wasn’t the biggest in the top 10. In 2015 the average price was $230,000, and in 2016 that rose to 244,900, an increase of 6%.
Attractions / Things to do in Taunton:
- Covering 48 square miles, Taunton is a fairly large city. If you are looking for things to do in Taunton check out:
- Gertrude M Boyden Wildlife Refuge
- Fore Kicks Sports Complex & Golf Course
- Old Colony History Museum
- Massasoit State Park
Taunton greatschools.org School System Rating (PK, KG-12): 3/10
North Attleboro comes in second with home sales up 48%. In 2016 there were 435 homes sold, up from 293 in 2015. Increase in average price was higher than Taunton’s, however, rising from $285,000 to $309,000 – a just-over 8% increase.
Attractions / Things to do in North Attleboro:
- North Attleboro WW1 Memorial Park
- Monkey Joes: Fun-filled inflatable play center that your young children will love
- World War Memorial Zoo
- North Bowl Lanes
North Attleboro greatschools.org School System Rating (PK, KG-12): 6/10
Easton had a 45% increase in number of homes sold, rising from 265 to 384. It was the only town in the top 10 to have a decrease in average price – falling from $335,000 to $329,900, a 1.5% decrease.
Attractions / Things to do in Easton:
- Borderland State Park
- Children’s Museum in Easton
- Wheaton Farm
- Frothingham Park
Oliver Ames High School greatschools.org System Rating (9-12): 5/10
Norton and Attleboro, in #5, came very close this year in their percent change in sales. Norton, with 206 homes sold in 2015 and 291 in 2016, saw an increase of just over 41%, while Attleboro was right behind at just under 41% (more info in #5, below). Norton’s average price increased 7%, from $290,000 to $310,000.
Attractions / Things to do in Norton:
- Winslow Farm Animal Sanctuary
- TPC Boston Golf Course
- Bog Iron Brewing
- Norton Parks & Recreation Department
Norton High School greatschools.org System Rating (9-12): 6/10
Attleboro had an increase in number of sales of just under 41%, from 432 to 609. Increase in average price was minimal – under 1% – from $263,000 to $265,000.
Attractions / Things to do in Attleboro:
- Attleboro Arts Museum
- Capron Park Zoo
- Balfour Riverwalk Park
Attleboro High greatschools.org School System Rating (9-12): 4/10
Mansfield home sales increased 38% from 2015 to 2016, from 200 homes sold to 275. Mansfield’s increase in average home price was the biggest of any town or city in the top 10: average home price went from $345,000 in 2015 to $380,000 in 2016.
Attractions / Things to do in Mansfield:
- Xfinity Center
- World War II Veterans Memorial Trail perfect for a nice walk or bike ride
- Mansfield Crossing shopping malls
Mansfield High greatschools.org School System Rating (9-12): 9/10
In Fall River, the number of home sales increased from 511 in 2015 to 680 in 2016, a boost of 33%. Home prices grew just under 5%, from 190,000 to $199,000.
Attractions / Things to do in Fall River:
- Battleship Cove: Memorial comprised with WWII Navy Ships
- Attractive downtown area with shops, restaurants and culture
- Fall River Heritage State Park
Fall River greatschools.org School System Rating (PK, KG-12): 4/10
One of the few towns in the list that was not in Bristol County was Dracut. The number of home sales in Dracut increased 31%, rising from 421 to 550. Increase in average home price, like in Attleboro, was less than 1% (a change from $258,000 in 2015 to $260,000 in 2016).
Attractions / Things to do in Dracut:
- Veterans Memorial Park
- Four Oaks Country Club
Dracut Senior High greatschools.org School System Rating (9-12): 7/10
Springfield is the highest volume city in the top 25, and falls at number 9 in increase in number of sales. In 2015, there were 1,235 homes sold in Springfield, increasing 30% to 1,607 homes sold in 2016. Prices rose 6%, from $1,26,000 to $133,000.
Attractions / Things to do in Dracut:
- Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame
- Springfield Museums: 1 Stop – 4 Museums
- If you enjoy the outdoors check out one of Springfield’s many different parks
- Van Horn Park
- Forest Park, & more
Springfield Central greatschools.org School System Rating (9-12): 2/10
Bridgewater, the last town to make the top 10, had number of home sales rise from 239 in 2015 to 308 in 2016 – an increase of 29%. Average home price was up from 2015 just over 6%, from $310,000 to $330,000.
Attractions / Things to do in Bridgewater:
• Bridgewater State University
Bridgewater Raynam Regional greatschools.org School System Rating (9-12): 5/10
Here are the rest of the Hottest Towns in Massachusetts ranked 11-25
|Rank||City/Town||# of Sales||% Change Sales||Median Price||% Change Price|
*Data provided by Warren Group & MLSPIN
- Advice for Homeowners
- All Agent Sites
- Building a Home
- Buying a Home in Massachusetts
- Buying a home in Southern New Hampshire
- Buying and Selling
- Buying Process
- Get More with Lamacchia
- Home Improvement Tips
- Home Sales
- Hottest Towns
- Housing Report
- In The News
- joselin malkhasian
- Lamacchia Property Management Blogs
- Lamacchia Realty Gives Back
- Lamacchia Realty in the News
- Massachusetts Real Estate News
- Massachusetts Real Estate Tips 2011
- Mid-Year Report
- Mortgage and Finance Blogs
- New Hampshire Real Estate
- President's Club
- Property Maintenance Blogs
- Real Estate News
- Real Estate Tips for 2011
- Rent in Boston area
- Selling a Home in Massachusetts
- Selling a Home in New Hampshire
- Selling Process
- Year in Review
Free Home Selling/Buying Consultation!